Apison is a quiet town located in Hamilton County in Southeastern Tennessee, between Chattanooga and Cleveland, just east of Interstate 75. The first recorded land grant was to the Swisher family in 1841. The area became a settlement and in 1881 the railroad helped to keep the settlement thriving. The town was first known as O'Brian named by the railroad officials. The name was shortly thereafter changed to Apison because of another Tennessee town having the same name. Due to the deposits of apison shale found along the railroad tracks, Apison was selected as the replacement name. 

 

 

While the stores and gas station of the current day town of Apison are closed down, all the conveniences of the big city are just a short drive away in neighboring towns and cities. It would be nice to see some of the businesses return to our town.

 

Link to history booklet

Click Here to view History Booklet

 

The area of this quiet farm community it about to drastically change. The Tennessee Department of Transportation is in process of creating a large 4 lane extension with bike paths from interstate 75 right into the heart of Apison. Now the rolling green hills and rural living will be a great deal easier to access.